Insulating your new or existing home is one of the best steps you can take to ensure your building is warm in the winter and cool in the summer. However, understanding the variety of products, installation techniques, and quantity needed is likely to make your head melt. Let us simplify those questions here and now!

How much insulation will you need?

Your climatic zone is the primary indicator of how much insulation your home will need. Secondly, your home’s structure will contribute to how much R-value, the product’s ability to resist heat flow, is necessary for attic spaces, walls, and floors. The following image shows the R-value recommendations around the country. At a minimum, an R-value of 30 is recommended and can go as high as R-60.

Map of recommended home insulation R values.

To determine the proper type of insulation best suited to your home’s needs, the experienced insulation contractor at Delmarva Insulation will review your home’s structure. Areas of attention will include attic and crawl spaces, external walls, and sealing air leaks.

Which insulation is best?

The type of insulation you and your Delmarva Insulation contractor choose will depend on the area of the home you are insulating. Each insulation product has its own benefits.

  • Spray foam insulation expands when installed to completely fill a cavity or space. It is a two-in-one product that insulates and air seals to stop air leakage and help keep utility costs low. Spray foam insulation may also increase the stability of your home during severe storms.
  • Fiberglass insulation is available in batt or blown-in types. Fiberglass insulation is non-corrosive and moisture resistant. It is cost-effective and is often combined with air sealing to provide additional energy benefits.
  • Mineral wool is made of natural materials and helps to slow the spread of fire. It is a preferred product for commercial insulation projects, is environmentally friendly, and offers high thermal performance.
  • Foam board is a lightweight product that can be cut to fit spaces between studs and spaces such as box sills. Foam board is often used for exterior insulation and insulating roof decks.
  • Blown-in insulation is used in new home construction or remodels. Blown-in products are frequently used to fill closed cavities and voids in walls and reduces sound transfer between rooms.


Insulating your home with the recommended amount of insulation is a cost-effective upgrade that will keep your home comfortable and energy bills low. For more information, product recommendations, or to request an estimate, contact the insulation professionals at Delmarva Insulation.